Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's going on around here...

Since the school year ended I have been pretty busy.  I did well on my Spring college classes and finished out the year in the class I'm an assistant in as the teacher, subbing for the teacher I work with for a week and a half while she was with family for personal reasons.  Even though the reason I had to sub was not a good reason, I really enjoyed it and was glad I could be there for her so she wouldn't have to worry about her class.

I was asked by the principal and superintendent to head up an enrichment program that will last a majority of the summer.  This was my first week and I have to say, it's a lot of fun.  I am tutoring the kids in math and reading, just rehashing what they learned throughout the school year, mainly so they don't loss so much from the end of one school year to the beginning of the next.  Our school does offer a summer school two weeks before the regular school year starts but the kids asked to go to the summer school are mainly title 1 kids.  This enrichment program I am doing is for anyone that wanted to sign up.  I have a total of 54 kids I work with throughout the week.  And no....I don't work with them all at once.  *smile*
The schedule is set up as such.  Two time slots, one from 830-10 and the other from 1030-12.  The grades listed on each day fill each time slot.  Monday - kindergarten then 1st  Tuesday - 2nd then 3rd  Wednesday - 4th and then 5th  Thursday - no kids in first slot then 6th....and Friday will be a come if you wish day with parents encouraged to attend to work with their own kids on flashcards or reading books together.  Will probably have a couple math games laid out as well.   I am very excited about this program and was very honored that I was asked to set it up and lead the way in getting it up and running.  I hope I do the school and the program justice.

I am also starting my summer classes.  Have to say, I am not happy about taking one of my classes but I am determined to do a passable job.  The other class I think will be a breeze.

Just a little update on me.  Have had many family members in some of the surrounding areas hit by the tornadoes in the Oklahoma and Kansas areas but thankfully no one I knew was hurt or dealing with more then some tree and hail damage.
Hope life is treating you all well!!!  And Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment