Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Timeline of Events

For my Technology in Society class this semester, our first assignment was to create a timeline beginning from the year we were born until present day listing one technological, world, or personal event for each year.  I decided to post the assignment to my webpage since we could use a diverse range of technology to complete the assignment.  So, here it goes!


1975 - Motorola obtains patent for the first portable mobile phone.

1976 - Apple Computer Company is formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak

1977 - NAVSTAR Global Positioning System (GPS) inaugurated by US Department of Defense

1978 - Illinois Bell Company introduces first ever cellular mobile phone system

1979 - Sony introduces the Sony Walkman costing $200.00

1980- CNN becomes the first 24 hr. news station

1981 - Post It Notes launched by 3M Corp

1982 - Times Man of the Year is The Computer
                                                 http://www.computerhistory.org/tdih/December/26/
1983 - The first mobile phones are introduced to the public by the Motorola Company in the US

1984 - Genetic fingerprints or DNA profiling was developed

1985 - British Scientists discover a hole in the earths Ozone Layer

1986 - Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after launch, killing all on board 

1987 - US Stock Market Crashes on Monday, October 19th , 1987 with a 508 point drop or 22.6%

1988 - The Hubble Space Telescope is put into operation

1989 -  In Alaska's Prince William Sound the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (11 million gallons) of oil   after running aground

1990 - Operation Desert Shield Begins as the United States and UK send troops to Kuwait

1991 - 911 Emergency Number tested in US northwestern cities

1992 - Microsoft Works released by Microsoft

1993 - The World Wide Web was born at CERN

1994 - Java programming language first released from Sun Microsystems

1995 - Truck Bomb devastates Oklahoma City Federal Building killing 168 people

1996 - Ebay started the online auction and shopping website

1997 - Married my wonderful husband

1998 - The Search Engine Google is founded
https://www.google.com/
1999 - My Space was officially introduced to the Internet

2000 - My son is born

2001 - 9/11 hijackers crashed two planes into the World Trade Center in Manhattan

2002 - The No Child Left Behind Act is passed and President George W. Bush signs into law 

2003 - Apple launches Itunes

2004 - My daughter is born

2005 - Hurricane Katrina strikes the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coastal areas

2006 - Pluto is downgraded from a Planet to a dwarf planet by The International Astronomical Union 
http://amyshirateitel.com/2011/11/04/pluto-its-still-out-there/

2007 -  Apple Introduces The iPhone 

2008 - Property prices continue to fall causing hardship to many homeowners

2009 - The World Health Organization declares H1N1 influenza strain as a global pandemic

2010 - Apple Releases the Ipad 

2011 - Richard Branson opens the first commercial Spaceport in the United States

2012 - Rover Lands on Mars

2013 -  I am happily taking college classes at FHSU for the 2013 Spring semester.
                                                              http://www.fhsu.edu/

After looking through all the events, those listed and those not, that have happened in my life time I can not believe how far the world has come with technological advances.  I realize a lot of the events I posted relate to cell phones and the internet but in my own little world, those things are huge to me and allow me to do so much.  If I were to chose one event that has made the biggest impact (aside from getting married and having my two wonderful kids) I would go back to 1993 when the World Wide Web was developed.  To think now where we would be without it seems so strange.  I know life went on before it and life will go on without it, but for now it seems like the best technological event ever.  Being able to look up anything and everything with just a click of your fingers on your laptop, computer, phone, or ipad seems like a little bit of magic if you don't look at how it works too closely.  I feel without the World Wide Web we would feel a little less connected to the world and to events that are shaping it.  Maybe that would be a good thing as well, not hearing about all the violence that is going on but to me it still seems to be a good advancement because it allows us to look beyond our own world and lets us try to see and understand more about what is going on with others.  So to wrap up this timeline of events from my life I would just like to say that I feel I am living in a high-tech, high-speed world and I love it.

*Ran across this little youtube video which is obviously a plug for SMART technology which I personally love but it is fitting and fun to see how technology has progressed in Education.
                                                                                                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwWWsz_X9s

Sources Sited :
www.thepeoplehistory.com
 http://www.infoplease.com/news/2012/current-events/

Thank you for taking time to look through my timeline of events from 1975-2013.
Kristi Nelson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment